Friday, March 23, 2007

Good food & Good Bargain in Mong Kok, Hong Kong

I just had my lunch in the new Queenbay Mall, Penang and knew that my friend and his wife are going to Hong Kong this May. On another request, I did promise to post some tips on Mong Kok to Velse who also keen to travel there this year.

So, my friends... here you go my posting on what I think is the food and shopping experience that you should not miss in Mong Kok, Hong Kong. Maybe you should try my recommendation and feedback to me here by leaving your comment after your visit. :)

From Mong Kok Station, take B2 exit and when you get out on Sai Yeung Choi Street (西洋菜街), look for Aberdeen Fishball Noddles Restaurant at the junction of Sai Yeung Choi Street and FiFe Street (快富街).

Brunch at Aberdeen Fishball & Noodles Restaurant (香港仔鱼蛋粉)
There are actually 4 restaurants (chain) in Mong Kok are: Mong Kok Road, Sai Yeung Choi Street, Fa Yuen Street and Nullah Road. The restaurant opens shop around 7am to cater for working class who wants to grab a bowl of fishbal noddle (鱼蛋粉) or boat porridge (艇仔粥) before heading to work. Don't miss out the octopus ball and sea-rambutan ball (海刺). As my brother and I were rushing for breakfast there before we headed to airport, sorry to disappoint you here that I don't have any picture for these food. Why not try the food there and write a blog about it? Then, I will add a link to your blog page. Deal?

My recommendation is to have brunch in this restaurant around 11am so that you have a filled stomach for shoe shopping spree in Fa Yuen Street (Po Hai Kai 波鞋街) which maybe demanding. Haha...

Shoe Shopping Spree in Fa Yuen Street (波鞋街)
This street is famous because of the vast variety of shoes offered with almost all the brands that you are looking for. So, ladies (include men), be patient here!!! Why? Because if you are like me a typical bargain hunter, you withness me hopping from one shop to another shop. My recommendation is to allocate at least an hour to get the shoe you want if you are looking for good deal.

After shopping there, I conclude the following:
Complexity of getting a shoe you like with good bargain =
discount difference x design x size availability x brand x color x pretty sales girl x mood of the day x hahaha...
To add another challenge, all shops look a like with salespersons saying "Come in and see see, if you likie then buy". In fact, some of these shops belong to same owner. So, I am pretty sure that after a while shopping there you will be like me expressing "OMG... which is the shop I see better discount already?" Haha ... happily confused.

Personally, I bought two pairs of shoes - Nike and Timberland. Each only cost me not more than RM230. Ya, Timberland shoe less than RM250, no way you can get it in Malaysia right. Of course, friend, if you have been to US, it is much cheaper there ...

If you are aiming for Timberland shoe, there is a Timberland Shop which offers better choice and depend on your luck, good deal as well. July is the best time to visit Hong Kong because of its summer sale.

Dessert in Lucky Dessert (Fatt Kay 深井发记)
By the time you are done with shopping, why not try out the famous dessert in Lucky Dessert (深井发记). In the entire Hong Kong, there are only Lucky Dessert shops, not as many as the other famous Hui Lau Shan Dessert (许留山). So, make sure you look out for Lucky Dessert in Mong Kok. Frankly, it is quite hard to locate it so why not seek the help of the local. It is actually at one of the junction between Tung Choi Street (女人街)and ??? street. This restaurant is normally very crowded at any time. At times, there maybe long queue too. There is an interesting observation in Hong Kong, the longer a queue is the more people want to be in the queue. So you probably have to be patient there after all your patience will be nicely rewarded ... guarantee!!!

What is good there? Durian Pancake and Pamelo+Mango Dessert


Left: Durian+Mango Dessert Right: Pamelo + Mango Dessert


Left: Durian Pancake Right: Me and my Durian Pancake

Small Cart Noddle or "Che Zai Mien" (车仔面)
This restaurant specialty is noddle. Its popularity somewhat causes bearable attitude there. None-the-least, one particular dish here deserves two thumb-ups - Fried Chee Cheong Fun. It is located at the same road as the Lucky Dessert. You probably should consider dropping bak this restaurant for early dinner. Oh ya, don't miss trying the milk tea in Hong Kong. It is very much different compared to that in Malaysia. In fact, it is better compared to Old Town. ;)


Left: Fried Chee Cheong Fun Right: Small Cart Noddle Restaurant

2 comments:

velverse said...

you make me so wanna go hong kong now. Arghh....

Elvin Ong said...

Haha... go go. It is a good place for shopping & food.